Joint Media Release
New board appointments for Fisheries RDC
Minister for Agriculture, Barnaby Joyce
Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Agriculture, Senator Richard Colbeck
2 September 2015
Agriculture Minister, Barnaby Joyce, and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Agriculture, Senator Richard Colbeck, today announced new directors appointed to guide the investment and research efforts of the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation (FRDC).
Minister Joyce said the new directors started on 1 September 2015 and play an important role in investing producer and taxpayer funds to help increase long term returns to Australian fishers.
"Fisheries management and policy is based on the best available science and Australia's fisheries are recognised among the most sustainable and best managed in the world—but we need to continue investing in R&D to maintain our world-leading status," Minister Joyce said.
Senator Colbeck said FRDC was unique among research corporations in balancing natural resource management and industry development.
"The fisheries sector is a vital part of Australian food production and the high calibre of research and data coming out of FRDC helps ensure we continue to supply high quality, sustainably sourced seafood now and into the future," Senator Colbeck said.
New directors appointed until 31 August 2018 are:
- Dr Renata Brooks (Qld): chair of Queensland Government's Biosecurity Capabilities Review, former Deputy Director-General and Executive Director NSW Government
- Professor Colin Buxton (Tas): Adjunct Professor University of Tasmania, co-chair Bioregional Advisory Panels, Department of the Environment
- Mr John Harrison (WA): CEO of the Western Australian Fishing Industry Association, former CEO of the Clarence River Fisherman's Cooperative in NSW
- Dr Lesley MacLeod (Vic): CEO of Dairy Innovation Australia, board member for Murray Dairy Inc, former board member for Barley Australia
- Professor Daryl McPhee (Qld): Associate Dean (Research), Bond University, author: Fisheries Management in Australia
- Mr John Susman (NSW): Managing Director and owner of Fishheads Seafood Strategy, inductee of the Fairfax Australian Food Industry Hall of Fame.
Minister Joyce and Senator Colbeck thanked the outgoing directors—Ms Heather Brayford, Mr Brett McCallum, Dr Bruce Mapstone and Dr Peter O'Brien—for their significant efforts during their tenure in delivering tangible outcomes for the Australian fishing industry.