Keeping our promise: we’ll learn from the best
29 January 2014
Minister for Agriculture, Barnaby Joyce, has today announced the establishment of the Agricultural Industry Advisory Council in line with the Coalition’s 2013 election commitments.
“The announcement of the appointed Council members is a prime example of the Australian Government’s commitment to listening to industry, to following through and working in partnership with our agricultural industries,” Minister Joyce said.
“The council will also assist the government in its endeavours to reduce red tape and to drive regulatory reform.
“Council members have expertise across a wide range of agriculture, fisheries and forestry industries and so are well-placed to inform government about key issues impacting these sectors and provide advice on possible policies and regulatory reform.
“The council will advise me on issues and challenges facing our industry including returns to the farm gate, attracting investment in Australian agribusiness, ways to increase agriculture’s efficiency, export opportunities and infrastructure priorities for agriculture – just to name a few.
“The agricultural sector provides jobs for 370,000 Australians and our leaders are world-class with unique experiences and innovative ideas. I want to hear from them so we keep moving forward.
“I look forward to working with the council and congratulate members on their appointment.”
The council members are:
- Mr Luke Bowen, Executive Director, Northern Territory Cattleman’s Association, NT
- Ms Eliza Brown, CEO/Director, Peter R. Brown Family Vineyards, VIC
- Mr Rob de Fegely, Chairman, Cloudy Bay Sustainable Forestry, NSW
- Ms Lenore Johnstone, Grazier, QLD
- Mr Hamish McLaren, woolgrower, Nerstane Merino Stud, NSW
- Mr David Moon, vegetables/horticulture and Managing Director, Moonrocks, QLD
- Mr Stuart Richey, Managing Director, Richey Fishing, TAS
- Mr Kevin Sorgiovanni, horticulture, wine and dairy and Director, Harvey Fresh, WA
- Mr Dean Wormald, graingrower and Director, Mallee Sustainable Farming, SA
- Ms Susan Bower, Head of Agribusiness, Australian Financial Services at The Westpac Group, NSW
The Agricultural Industry Advisory Council has been established as part of two election commitments; to enhance consultations with the agricultural sector and to support the government’s deregulation agenda by reducing red tape.
The council met by teleconference today and is expected to hold their first face-to-face meeting soon.