New board appointments for Grains RDC
22 October 2014
Agriculture Minister, Barnaby Joyce, today announced new board members to guide the investment and research efforts of the Grains Research and Development Corporation (GRDC) to generate the best return for grower levies.
“The new board will start on 4 November 2014 and will play an important role in investing grower and taxpayer funds to ensure a profitable and sustainable grains industry into the future,” Minister Joyce said.
“There is an appropriate focus on ensuring we are getting the most efficient and effective return for the investment that our farmers, and the government, make through the levy system.
“I have every confidence that this board will provide the strong leadership needed to ensure precious research dollars are spent on strategic priorities that will benefit our growers.
“The board will need to manage the research, development and extension priorities of a diverse sector – currently there is the prospect of record crops on the west coast at a time when many of those on the eastern seaboard are battling drought conditions.
“GRDC has a critical role to play in helping our growers across Australia continue to drive improved profitability,” Minister Joyce said.
New board members appointed until 30 September 2017 are:
- Dr Andrew Barr (SA): Adjunct Professor, School of Agriculture and Wine, University of Adelaide and director of the Australian Grain Growers Cooperative
- Dr Helen Garnett (NT): director Sugar Research Australia and chair of Delta Electricity
- Ms Roseanna Healy (SA): former Rural Industries Research and Development Corporation director and current board adviser Central Australian Aboriginal Congress Aboriginal Corporation
- Mr David Shannon (SA): grains and livestock producer with more than 30 years experience and independent chairman of Mutooroo Pastoral Company.
The new appointees join existing board members who will serve until 30 September 2016:
- GRDC Chairman Richard Clark (NSW)
- Dr Jeremy Burdon (ACT): CSIRO Fellow, CSIRO-Plant Industry and Board of Trustees, Biodiversity International
- Mr Kim Halbert (WA): grain grower with more than 35 years experience
- Mr John Woods (NSW): owner and manager of Booroola Pastoral Company
“I thank the outgoing directors—Mr Richard Brimblecombe, Ms Jennifer Goddard, Professor Robert Lewis and Mrs Sharon Starick—for their significant efforts during their tenure in delivering tangible outcomes for growers.”