APVMA's Armidale home
12 March 2018
The APVMA will soon be the new kid on the block with a permanent residence secured on Taylor Street and Beardy Street in Armidale.
- The APVMA's new site at 102 Taylor Street & 91 Beardy Street in Armidale officially unveiled.
- Stirloch Pty Ltd will build 2000 square metres of leased accommodation.
- Milestone in building a Centre of Agricultural Excellence in New England.
"The Centre of Agricultural Excellence in New England is a step closer with the University of New England just 10 kilometres down the road from the new site," Minister Littleproud said.
"The move will create a vibrant hub where research and government services can drive agricultural productivity and deliver economic benefits to regional Australia.
"The APVMA received 450 applications to fill 30 vacancies towards a total of 150 jobs when the authority is fully up and running in Armidale, which shows people want to get on board with the authority in its new home.
"Performance at the APVMA continues to improve and this relocation is the first step to building a world class regulator in Armidale that will deliver much-needed reforms to agvet chemical regulation.
"Architectural, project management and design companies are engaged and ready to go and construction is expected to commence mid-year."
Member for New England the Hon. Barnaby Joyce MP said the relocation was a big win for the local community.
"This Centre of Agricultural Excellence will boost jobs and investment in Armidale and deliver real outcomes for people in the weatherboard and iron," Mr Joyce said.
"It will stimulate the local economy in the construction phase, with up to 100 local trade and construction jobs, along with the boost provided by staff relocating to Armidale.
"This will give University of New England graduates a clear local pathway into the workforce to contribute their scientific expertise on nationally significant regulatory activities."
- The APVMA anticipates construction will commence from mid-2018 and it will move into the building in mid-2019, once construction and fit-out is complete.
- Stirloch Pty Ltd will build 2000 square metres of A Grade leased office accommodation.
- The office is anticipated to house 150 APVMA staff.
- 15 APVMA staff now operate from the Armidale interim office, and at least 40 new and existing staff are expected to be based in Armidale by the end of this year.
- The APVMA is also continuing to receive considerable interest from highly qualified people wanting to work in Armidale—450 applications were received in a recent recruitment round.