AGMIN agrees on climate adaptation
27 April 2018
Minister for Agriculture David Littleproud has welcomed the agreement of agriculture Ministers to support adaptation to climate change in agriculture.
Minister Littleproud said the AGMIN Ministers had requested Agriculture Senior Officials Committee prepare a paper for AGMIN on climate change adaptation in agriculture, which would include:
- Potential climate change scenarios and impacts over time
- Analysis of risks and opportunities presented by climate change to agricultural industries
- A description of current work on managing emissions in the agriculture sector
- A stocktake of approaches to adaptation across jurisdictions
- Proposed actions and a work program for a national approach to supporting the sector to adapt to climate change.
Minister Littleproud said AGMIN needed to show leadership on this issue.
"A forward looking, national strategy to handle change is always a sensible thing," Minister Littleproud said.
"I'm pleased we're doing that and thank my state agriculture Minister colleagues for coming on the journey with me.
"We need to help farmers adapt and change as the climate changes, to protect our food production, our rural jobs and country towns."
Agriculture Victoria will lead coordination across jurisdictions in compiling the paper.
Minister Littleproud also thanked his colleagues for noting the Federal Government's "recent action to improve the welfare of animals during live export".