Celebrating Australia’s Landcare Community
11 October 2018
Australia's Landcare champions will be celebrated tonight, at the National Landcare awards.
Minister for Agriculture David Littleproud said he was proud to recognise Australians who work to protect the environment and deliver sustainable agriculture.
"The best farmers also look after the environment," Minister Littleproud said.
"I'm a huge fan of Landcare. It shows the very best of Australian farming – looking after birds and animals while increasing productivity.
"Landcare is a key part of the clean, green international image which helps our farmers get better prices for their produce.
"Landcare is the major plank in the Coalition Government's billion dollar investment in improving the nation's soils, water, vegetation and biodiversity."
There are 65 finalists from across Australia in nine categories, including:
- Australian Government Excellence in Sustainable Farm Practices Award
- Australian Government Individual Landcarer Award
- Australian Government Innovation in Agriculture Land Management Award
- Australian Government Partnerships for Landcare Award
- The Bob Hawke Landcare Award
"The Bob Hawke Landcare Award comes with a $50,000 prize to develop the winner's expertise in sustainable land management practices and Landcare," Minister Littleproud said.
"The Landcare awards recognise and reward leadership and inspire others to join the cause, which improves farm productivity and profits.
"I congratulate all of the finalists and thank them for their contribution to the future of Landcare."
- Since 1989 the Landcare Awards have acknowledged and celebrated local Landcare achievements across Australia.
- The Coalition Government has invested $1.1 billion in the next phase of the National Landcare Program which will provide funding to June 2023.