Northern Basin Review is again law
3 July 2018
- Coalition returns 70 gigalitres of water to Northern Basin Communities
- Northern Basin water recovery target reduced from 390 gigalitres to 320 gigalitres
- Amendment restores the Northern Basin Review which was disallowed by the Senate in February
The Coalition Government has returned 70 gigalitres of water to northern basin communities, after the Northern Basin Review (NBR) again became law today.
The NBR instrument was signed by Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources David Littleproud yesterday after an agreement with the Labor Party allowed the necessary legislation to pass Parliament in June.
"Keeping those extra 70 gigalitres will protect about 200 jobs in Northern Basin communities while still delivering for the environment," Minister Littleproud said.
"The government is delivering certainty to communities across the Basin, and this is a key part of that."
Minister Littleproud said the Northern Basin Review process was included in the Basin Plan by all jurisdictions in 2012.
"We will also deliver a 'toolkit' of environmental works and measures," Minister Littleproud said.
"This will include targeted recovery of water, event-based mechanisms such as options for pumping and store-and-release, and environmental works to promote fish movement and habitat.
"The agreement between the Coalition Government and the Opposition will further protect environmental flows, strengthen compliance with water laws, and improve outcomes for Aboriginal people.
"The amendment is effectively the same as the instrument that was disallowed by the Senate in February.
"I am proud the Plan is back on track."
The text of the instrument is available on www.legislation.gov.au.
- 'Toolkit measures' designed to improve water management include:
- arrangements to protect environmental flows
- targeted recovery of water
- event-based mechanisms (such as options for pumping and store-and-release)
- improving the coordination and delivery of environmental water,
- environmental works and measures to promote fish movement and habitat