Top co-ops delivering for local producers
Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources, David Littleproud
Member for Page, Kevin Hogan
20 March 2018
- Visiting two of Australia's top ten co-operatives, Norco and The Northern Co-operative Meat Company.
- The Nationals' in Coalition strong supporter of co-operatives delivering the Farm Co-operatives and Collaboration Pilot Program.
The Nationals' support for co-ops continued today in North Eastern New South Wales with the Agriculture Minister visiting two of Australia's top ten co-operatives.
Member for Page Kevin Hogan said it was important to have the Agriculture Minister visiting two of the local success stories, Norco and The Northern Co-operative Meat Company.
"I'm a strong believer in the potential of co-operatives, given I'm familiar with Norco and the Northern Co-operative Meat Company," Mr Hogan said.
"The Minister and I saw firsthand what they've achieved and what is on the horizon, along with the challenges they face."
Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources David Littleproud today visited Norco, Australia's second largest co-operative with 215 member farms, totalling 222 million litres of milk supply.
"Today I've toured Norco and heard how the co-operative is delivering solid, consistent returns to smaller operators and family farms," Minister Littleproud said.
"The Coalition Government is invested in co-operatives and what they can do for smaller producers.
"That's why this government delivered $13.8 million from the Agricultural Competitiveness White Paper for the Farm Co-operatives and Collaboration Pilot Program.
"This included a $175,000 grant to the Northern Co-operative Meat Company to improve all aspects of beef and pork farming businesses for greater financial returns, which we saw firsthand yesterday.
"The Nationals in Coalition will always support innovative ways to deliver greater returns at the farmgate, and there is great potential in co-operatives and collaborative arrangements across agriculture."
- The two-year $13.8 million Farm Co-operatives and Collaboration pilot program (Farming Together) is an initiative of the government's $4 billion Agricultural Competitiveness White Paper.
- The Northern Co-operative Meat Company Ltd (NCMC) is Australia's largest meat processing Co-operative, with 900 employees and annual turnover of about $290 million.
- As of 2016–17, Norco had 215 member farms, totalling 222 million litres of milk supply. It is currently Australia's second largest co-operative.