Investing in future Australian horticulture leaders
Assistant Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources, Anne Ruston
Member for Mallee, Andrew Broad
14 November 2017
The national table grape, citrus and dried fruit industries are set to benefit from the Australian Government's $5 million Leadership in Agricultural Industries Fund.
Assistant Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources Anne Ruston and Member for Mallee Andrew Broad said the funding would support the development of future leaders for these industries.
"The Australian Government is investing in the next generation of leaders in the table grape, citrus and dried fruit sectors to help drive industry growth," Minister Ruston said.
"Developing and expanding industry leadership capacity and expertise will be critical in taking these industries forward.
"We are supporting these industries' goals through the Leadership in Agricultural Industries Fund, with $50,000 each to send potential leaders on leadership courses run by the Australian Institute of Company Directors and the Australian Rural Leadership Foundation.
"Undertaking targeted training through these highly-regarded providers will assist industry representative organisations in the development of their leadership capability and capacity."
Mr Broad said this would be valuable funding for industries that had a strong presence in the Mallee electorate.
"The gross value of table grape production in north west Victoria is $327 million, with citrus contributing a further $75 million," he said.
"We want to ensure these representative organisations are able to advocate agricultural and rural issues to the wider community and across government, and champion their industries' priorities.
"The Leadership in Agricultural Industries Fund will have a lasting impact—supporting the next generation of leaders."
- Australian table grape industry gross value of production was $453 million in 2015-16
- Citrus industry gross value of production in 2015-16 was $706 million
- The Leadership in Agricultural Industries Fund was announced as part of the government's policy for a Stronger Agricultural Sector.
- It aims to support efforts to develop leadership capacity within the agricultural industries to enhance the ability of emerging agricultural leaders to advocate agricultural commodity priorities and drive trade opportunities.
- Funding supports projects with a wide representation across the sector, from large and well-established industries to smaller and emerging industries.